Last updated on October 13th, 2023 at 06:51 pm
Sometimes your young child must go alone without the physical company of an adult family member or known acquaintance. Such circumstances are concerning for both parents and children. Your child’s safety on board the planes when flying alone will be the only issue. Your youngster will be in excellent hands and enjoy a comfortable flight with United Airlines, thanks to its unaccompanied minor service.
What is United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy?
- You should double-check the flight as a parent or guardian before ordering tickets for your child because not all flights operated by United Airlines allow for the transportation of kids.
- Children under the age of five cannot travel by themselves. Only those aged ten to fifteen are permitted to travel alone.
- Also, teenagers between the ages of 15 and 17 are not permitted to travel alone. United Airlines only offers a minor policy on direct flights.
- When purchasing a flight, you must include all of a child’s information, including who will pick up and drop off the youngster at the airport.
- You can play it online or in person, but there is an additional price for all children traveling with you.
Eligibility and Conditions
The United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy is for passengers who are 5 to 14 years traveling alone or with someone under 18 years old. Below are the essential details about how this policy works:
- Unaccompanied Minor bookings can be only made on a direct or united express flight.
- If your kids are less than 5 years old, they are not eligible to fly alone. It means they are not qualified for the unaccompanied service provided by the united. The kids under 5 can fly with parents or guardians who are at least 18 years old or older.
- If your kid is 15-17, they can fly alone without following the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy. However, they can utilize this service if they want.
Further Guidelines on Unaccompanied Minor Service Provided by United Airlines
United’s Airlines Unaccompanied minor service is for kids 5 to 14 years old and 15 to 17 years old; it is optional. Here is how you will book your tickets and prepare for the travel
How to book?
First, you should know how to book your kid’s tickets with United Airlines. You must visit United.com and book unaccompanied minor tickets. Please ensure that you select the right flyer age group when booking flights.
Share Contact Information
When booking the unaccompanied minor ticket, please mention the contact information of the person who is dropping your kids off or picking them up from the destination airport. And if you want to alter that information, call the united airlines representative for that later.
United will pick up the seats
United tries its best for making your kid comfortable when flying. It will pick out the best seats for your kids that will make their journey comfortable.
Even if your children have traveled alone previously, here are some suggestions to help ensure they are ready:
- Include yours and the adult who will be waiting for them at the other ends of their flight in the list of phone numbers you provide.
- Tell them to wait aboard the aircraft for United’s team members to accompany them.
- In case your children aren’t seated near an outlet, ensure their phones or tablets are entirely charged.
- If your children travel abroad, they might need to complete a form before passing through customs. Write down any information they require in advance because this form will be distributed to them during travel.
Details Information about United Unaccompanied Minor Policy
At the Airport-Check-in
- Online or through a mobile app, unaccompanied minors are not permitted to check-in.
- The Unaccompanied Minor must be accompanied to the check-in counter by the parent or legal guardian.
Before departure—at the airport
- Visit a staff member at the United check-in desk.
- Your child will receive a wristband, unique tags, and a unique envelope containing their boarding card, paperwork for unaccompanied minors, passport, tickets for baggage claim, and receipts.
Your child will be accompanied by a staff member who will assist them through immigration and security, take them to their seats, help with their carry-on luggage, go over the safety instructions with them, and point out the restrooms.
The flight attendants will ensure that your child is cozy and well-cared for during the flight.
On the Plane
Consult your doctor before booking your child’s flight if they are on medicine, or think about delaying their trip (the staff is not allowed to administer medication)
The flight attendants will ensure that your child is cozy and well-cared for.
Consult your doctor before booking your child’s flight if they are on medicine, or consider delaying their trip (the staff is not allowed to administer medication).
- Come at least 45 minutes early for your appointment.
- Domestic flights within the United States and certain overseas flights:
- Obtain a gate pass at the ticket window.
- At the airport, present your ID.
- Go through security and greet your child at the arrival gate.
- Utilize the app to access the departure gate and flight details.
Related – Alaska Airlines Unaccompanied Minor
Drop-Off and Pick-Up
Unaccompanied minors must be transported by a parent, legal guardian, or responsible person to the departure airport. When you go with your child to the airport, allow at least 30 minutes more than usual in addition to the processing time at the airport.
The airport service representative handling your child’s flight will either confirm the information in the booking or add it if it isn’t there already. Your child will receive a bracelet to wear in addition to an unaccompanied minor pouch to contain crucial travel documents so that United personnel and flight attendants can recognize him/her as an unaccompanied minor.
A United representative will accompany your child on board and introduce them to the flight attendants. Minors who are not with an adult are welcome to board early. By boarding earlier than other passengers, the flight attendants will have a few extra minutes to: personally welcome your child, introduce them to the cockpit (if time permits), help with carry-on luggage, familiarise them with the safety mechanisms of the aircraft, & point out the locations of the restrooms. At least till the plane takes off, you must stay in the nearby gate lobby area.
For all domestic flights within the United States as well as some international flights which have customs and immigration pre-clearance at the departure airport. The United representative will greet and escort your child to the person designated to pick them up at the arrival gate or in the arrivals area out beyond baggage claim.
The person assigned to pick up the child from the airport and meet them at their destination should get to the airport early and wait for such Unaccompanied Minor in the arrivals area. It could be necessary for the person assigned to meet the youngster to fill out and sign paperwork about the Unaccompanied Minor.
How much is United Airlines Fee for Unaccompanied Minor?
United has put a fee for the unaccompanied minor policy it provides. However, the fee varies depending upon the number of kids flying and the ticket type.
|Number of Kids Travelling||One-way fee||Round trip fee|
Frequently Asked Questions
There are different fees for accompanied minors depending upon the age of the child and the travel type they fly. Therefore, for one way, it will cost them from $150- $450. Whereas, for the round trip, it will cost them from $300- $900.
Children of 15 to 17 flying alone must quarry one of these: Passport, Driver's license, or Credit card.