Last updated on October 26th, 2023 at 09:39 am
The British Airways Baggage Allowance and Fees guide will help you prepare for your upcoming flight with the airline.
As part of British Airways Baggage Rules, there is plenty of room for wheelchairs, strollers, car seats, skis, and musical instruments. In addition to offering multiple hand luggage items and ample checked baggage options, British Airways also offers the largest baggage allowance.
- Checked bags should not be loaded with fragile or perishable items such as money, jewelry, electronic gadgets, and precious metals.
- If the baggage is misplaced, British Airways will provide the passenger with a baggage tracking code.
- Your checked baggage will be transported to the same aircraft as your flight.
- Traveling with sporting equipment or musical instruments must adhere to British Airways baggage policies. They should be checked in as checked baggage.
- Medical equipment does not have a weight limit and is not subject to overweight charges under British Airways baggage policy. However, there is a limit on the number of articles as these items are considered checked baggage by British Airways All medical supplies must be accompanied by an official medical letter.
- In the event that the weight limit exceeds the free baggage allowance, British Airways charges an additional baggage fee.
British Airways Carry-on Allowance
- In addition to the hand luggage allowance, British Airways passengers may also bring a laptop computer or handbag in their hand luggage.
- Including handles, pockets, and wheels,
In addition to your main hand luggage, you must bring a laptop and handbag that fits under the seat in front of you and measures 18″ x 14″ x 8″ inches including the wheels and handle.
British Airways Checked Baggage Allowance
British Airways checked baggage items must not exceed 23 kg for domestic travel and 32 kg for international travel, depending on the fare conditions and the class of service selected. All items must be within a 90 cm x 75 cm x 43 cm area, including handles, pockets, and wheels.
|Ticket Fare Type||Baggage Allowance|
|Economy Class Domestic||1 bag at 23kg|
|Full fare Economy Class (International)||2 bags at 23kg per bag|
|Premium Economy||2 Bag at 23kg each|
|Business Class||2 bags at 32kg each|
|First Class||3 bags at 32kg each|
Hand Baggage Allowance for British Airways
All passengers, regardless of their travel type, fare rules, or service class, are allowed to carry one piece of hand luggage and one personal item on board. A carry-on bag must not exceed 56 x 45 x 25 cm, and a small item must not exceed 40 x 30 x 15 cm. The combined weight of hand luggage and a small item must not exceed 10 kilograms.
As long as the yellow tag is attached and visible for boarding, you can take your handbag/laptop bag on board.
If you have more than your allowance or over the size or weight limit for your hand baggage, you will have to check it in and it will count towards your checked baggage allowance. The airport will charge you for extra baggage if you are traveling on a hand baggage-only (Basic) fare or if you exceed the free allowance for checked baggage.
British Airways Baggage Fees
|Baggage Type||Size Restrictions||Weight Allowance||Fees||Additional Fees|
|Checked Baggage||90cm x 75cm x 43cm||£20 to £65 depending on Routes||£20 to £65 depend on Routes||See excess baggage|
|Excess Baggage||90cm x 75cm x 43cm||32kg||£65 per bag||Not Applicable|
|Cabin Baggage||56cm x 45cm x 25cm||23kg||N/A||Airport fees apply if oversized or overweight|
Extra Baggage on British Airways
You may need to check your larger bags if you have more than two pieces of hand baggage, or if they are larger than the allowed size.
In case you exceed your free baggage allowance, you must pay to place any extra bags in the hold. Please note that excess baggage carriage is subject to availability and may be subject to additional local taxes.
You must check your bag’s weight if it is over 23kg- You may be charged a heavy bag fee if your checked baggage is heavier than your allowance. To find out your baggage allowance, use the calculator above.
If you fly from a country with a different local currency, you will be charged 65GBP / 75EUR / 100USD / 100CAD per overweight bag and a one-way journey.
In many airports, such as London Heathrow and London Gatwick, and in North America, you can only pay with a credit or debit card. Cash and Avios are not accepted.
Changes and refunds
It is possible to change or cancel extra bags you purchased online if you change your mind after you check in. If you wish to change or refund your booking, you must do so online at Manage My Booking before you check in. Changing or refunding your reservation after you check in, at the airport, or after the flight leaves cannot be done.
- In order to change your extra bags, you will need to cancel your previous purchase first and then make a new one. The new purchase will be made using the current price for extra bags.
- You will receive a confirmation email once your payment provider has authorized the purchase.
- Refunds will only be made to the original payment method used to purchase the extra bag unless otherwise stated.
British Airways Medical supplies and equipment
For medical equipment, there are no weight limits or overweight charges, but you can only bring a certain number of checked bags with you.
When you check in at the airport, all checked bags with medical supplies must be accompanied by an official medical letter.
When flying on a busy flight, you might have to check your larger cabin bag in, so pack essential medications in your hand luggage. If you need specific advice, please see our medical information.
Frequently Asked Questions
One checked bag can measure 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in) and weigh 23kg (51lb
A handbag or laptop is allowed in the cabin with one item of hand luggage and a small item (handbag, laptop) no larger than 40cm x 30cm x 15cm.
Business and First class fares receive two free checked bags, while Economy fares receive one free checked bag.
Each overweight bag and one-way journey costs 65 GBP / 75 EUR / 100 USD / 100 CAD.
You can purchase additional checked baggage when you book your flight. If you've already made a booking, but would like to add checked baggage, you can add up to 40 kg .