Last updated on October 10th, 2022 at 12:28 pm
Travelling with luggage can be a hassle. That’s why we’ve made it simple for you to get all the information you need by just clicking on a few buttons. Our baggage policy includes information about both checked bags and carry-on bags and also the plans for specific locations that you want to visit. Here are the highlights of JetBlue’s domestic and international baggage policy.
- JetBlue’s baggage policy determines whether luggage can be carried in an aircraft based on its weight, size, and content.
- During JetBlue flights, carry-on bags must be stored in the overhead storage bins or underneath the seat.
- According to JetBlue baggage rules, passengers are solely responsible for their hand luggage.
- A JetBlue passenger’s check-in baggage may be accepted only on the flight on which that passenger is traveling.
- The JetBlue baggage assigned to an aircraft must have a baggage identification tag along with the passenger’s name, address, JetBlue flight booking number, and contact information on the label.
- JetBlue’s baggage dimensions and baggage limit will not be accepted by any carrier as baggage for transportation.
- If a passenger requests a change in flight date, time, or destination, JetBlue baggage policy may be adjusted according to the new itinerary.
- In accordance with JetBlue cancellation policy, baggage fees will be refunded only if the selected fares are canceled.
- The JetBlue baggage fee waiver would not apply to restricted fares.
JetBlue Baggage Allowance Guidelines
- One personal item is included with every fare, such as a small purse, backpack, laptop bag, long coat, umbrella, or approved pet carrier.
- A JetBlue personal item must not exceed 43 x 33 x 20 cm, including handles, pockets, and wheels.
- JetBlue Basic fares are the only ones that do not include a carry-on bag.
- Carry-on bags must be within 55 x 35 x 22 cm and weigh no more than 7 kg.
According to JetBlue, carry-on items shouldn’t exceed 20 pounds but should be able to fit in the overhead compartments without assistance.
Here are some hot tips:
As of July 20, 2021, Blue, Blue Extra, and Mint customers, as well as Blue Basic customers who purchase Even More Space, will receive guaranteed overhead bin space for one carry-on. If JetBlue gate checks your carry-on due to a lack of overhead bin space, you will receive a $25 credit for travel on JetBlue for one year.
JetBlue Checked Baggage Allowance and What’s the Current Policy?
A checked bag must weigh no more than 50 pounds (23 kilograms); customers in Mint class can have a maximum weight of 70 pounds (32 kilograms) on routes between the U.S., Latin America, and the Caribbean; the bag dimensions must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm) in length. Up to two bags may be booked in advance (up to 24 hours before departure); subsequent bags can only be added at the airport.
The JetBlue baggage fee is 20% less if you pay in advance on JetBlue.com or the mobile app if your fare doesn’t include a checked bag.
JetBlue Excess Baggage Policy & How it Impacts You
- There will be a fee of 150 USD per item one-way for checked baggage exceeding JetBlue’s free baggage allowance but not exceeding 62 linear inches and 50 pounds.
- JetBlue will accept luggage up to 62 linear inches but no larger than 80 linear inches for 150 USD per item one-way
- If your checked bag weighs more than 50 pounds or 23 kilograms, but less than 100 pounds or 45 kilograms, JetBlue will charge a one-way overweight baggage fee of 150 USD per item.
- The acceptance of excess, overweight, and/or oversize baggage on JetBlue flights during certain dates is prohibited.
- JetBlue does not accept luggage that exceeds 80 linear inches and weighs more than 100 pounds or 45 kilograms as these dimensions violate JetBlue’s baggage policy.
Guide to JetBlue Baggage Claims & Lost Luggage Procedures
If JetBlue’s check-in baggage is substantially lost, delayed, or damaged, the passenger will not be entitled to a baggage claim unless he or she meets the following criteria:
- JetBlue lost luggage status numbers and notification of the claim must be received within four hours of the flight’s arrival.
- In order to file a JetBlue baggage claim, passengers must submit the receipt for their lost or delayed baggage to the airline within 21 days of the occurrence of the event.
- JetBlue baggage loss circumstances require passengers to file a claim within 30 days of the incident.
Sports Equipment, Pets & More
There are numerous items listed with the cost and whether they can be checked or carried on. From skis to golf clubs to music equipment and even surfboards, JetBlue details the cost and whether they are accepted.
Be sure to check the specific policy for your miscellaneous luggage if anything over 100 pounds will be accepted as checked luggage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many bags can you carry on JetBlue for free?
Customers are permitted to bring one carry-on bag and one personal item (purse, small backpack, briefcase, laptop, etc.). Carry-on bags may be stored under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin.
Q. How many bags can you check on JetBlue for free?
Two bags are allowed to be checked, each measuring 60" (157.48 cm) in overall length, width, and height, or 50 pounds (22.68 kg). Bags that don't meet the dimensions and/or weight restrictions will incur a fee The fee for a third (or more) checked bag is $150 and only available at the airport.
Q. What’s the difference between blue basic and blue on JetBlue?
Blue: If you're traveling light, Blue is a standard fare that provides a carry-on and a personal item. The benefit over Blue Basic is that passengers don't pay change or cancellation fees and the fare includes seat selection.