Last updated on October 10th, 2022 at 12:27 pm
Spirit Airlines’ motto is “less money, more go,” which makes sense given that the carrier is one of the cheapest to fly the friendly skies. Spirit primarily serves North America, with connections to Latin America and the Caribbean.
An average Spirit Airlines ticket costs around $100. That’s incredibly low, and the company can keep those low prices because they charge fees for almost everything, especially baggage.
Spirit Airlines allows passengers to bring Three types of baggage. The baggage fees charged by Spirit Airlines differ based on the number of bags you wish to carry. To get additional bags, you may pay these charges.
|Personal Item||Personal Item baggage will be allowed by spirit airlines (18 x 14 x 8) Size with no extra weight limit.|
|Carry-on Baggage||Maximum Size of (22 x 18 x10 inches), (56 x 46 x 25 cm).|
|Check -in Baggage||Total dimension must come under 62 inches &40 lbs in weight. In the event your bag violates these restrictions, then it will be considered oversized/overweight. And bags exceeding 80 inches & above 100 lbs, will be outright not allowed.|
Guests travelling to or from international airports may face additional size and weight restrictions for their luggage, as detailed below.
|South America Lima, Peru (LIM)||ALL YEAR (Additional Restrictions Apply – December 1st through January 10th)||One paid checked Baggage allowance item will be accepted per guest. Based on inventory, additional checked items may be purchased.Excess/Overweight Baggage items must not excess the maximum overweight limit of 100 pounds (45kg) and are subject to overweight baggage charges beginning at 41 pounds (18 kg).The oversized bag must not excess 80 lbs in overall dimensions and oversized baggage allowance charges of 63 lbs.Certain items- sport Equipment) may excess 80 pounds in overall dimensions however, the item may not weigh more than 100 pounds (45kg). This Baggage counts towards the maximum of one checked item allowed per person. Additional charges may apply.From December 1st through January 10th, items that exceed 80 pounds will not be accepted.|
|South America Colombia (BAQ, CTG BGA, CLO, MDE, AXM)Ecuador (GYE)||ALL YEAR (Additional Restrictions Apply Dec 1st – 10 Jan)||One paid checked Baggage item will be accepted every person.Extra checked items may be purchased on (FCFS) basis.|
|International Destinations||December 1st – January 10th||One paid checked item will be accepted per person.Additional checked items may be purchased on a first-come-first-serve basis.Overweight items are subject to overweight baggage allowance charges beginning at 41 pounds (18 kg).Oversized baggage must not excess 80 lbs (203 cm) in overall dimensions and oversized baggage allow charges apply from 63 linear inches (158 cm).|
Spirit Airlines Carry-On Cabin Baggage Size and Weight
Spirit Airlines can bring one personal item- like a small laptop, purse, briefcase, etc.- On Board. The item, including handles and wheels, cannot be larger than 18 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches (45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm) Only. Similarly, there is no weight restriction.
Carry-on luggage cannot exceed the following size and weight restrictions (22 inches x 18
inches x 10 inches) (56 x 46 x 25 cm) including handles and wheels.
Flying With Oversized, Overweight, and Extra Baggage on Spirit Flights
- Almost all travellers are concerned about extra baggage, accessories, and oversized baggage. For all of these, Spirit airlines Policy has strict guidelines to follow. Spirit provides rough fare tickets to all customers, which is why they ask you to pay the extra for baggage to make things easier for everyone. Nobody will be required to pay more than is necessary. So, every category, however, has its own set of fares, limits and weight, and quantity restrictions. Travellers become baffled at this moment.
- Oversized Bag Fee Spirit- Bags that exceed the 62 linear dimensions will be charged an additional fee. Each bag will cost between $100 and $150, depending on its size. Musical and sporting equipment, on the other hand, are exempt. Furthermore, the length should not exceed 80 linear inches. Baggage larger than 80 linear inches will not be permitted on the flight.
- Overweight Bag charge spirit- Any baggage weighing more than 40 pounds will be charged between $30 and $100. It is determined by the weight of the luggage. Please keep in mind that this fee applies to each piece of luggage separately.
|You need to pay for any additional/larger bags.||Per Baggage Charge|
|41 – 50 pounds (18 – 23 kg)||+ $59|
|51 – 100 pounds. (23 – 45 kg||+ $99|
|63-80 pounds (158-203 cm)||+ $100|
|Special items over 80 pounds (203 cm)||+ $150|
- Extra Bag Spirit Airlines – Medical kits, including prescribed drugs, will not be allowed in personal or carry-on bags. Passengers may bring it into the flight cabin.
- Child safety seats will not be permitted in personal or carry-on Baggage.
- One diaper bag containing milk or infant food.
- Small items, like coats, or umbrellas, will not be included.
- Sporting Equipment-
|Baggage Type||Each Way|
|Surf Board (Max- 2 surfboards in one bag)||$100|
|Golf Clubs||Same as checked baggage overweight charges may apply.|
|Snowboards||Same as checked baggage overweight charges may apply.|
For More Information, visit the Spirit Airlines website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Spirit Airlines allows passengers to bring a personal item((18 x 14 x 8) to the cabin free of charge.
You Can Carry-on Baggage Spirit Airlines for free includes handles and wheels 22 x 18 x10 inches (56 x 46 x 25 cm).
YES, passengers may bring one personal item on flights at no extra charge.