When you book a flight with Lufthansa, you’ll get special support for children between the ages of 5 and 11 years traveling alone. You’ll have to learn about certain regulations and conditions before booking the flight.
Here we’ll cover everything you need to know about minors traveling alone, including their travel fees, documents requirement, and more.
Lufthansa Unaccompanied Minor Rules and Regulations
You can book a child flight for your minor using the Lufthansa unaccompanied minor policy if your child is between 5 and 11 years old. Here are some Guidelines for you should know before you book a child flight for your minor:
- All documents must be available in the city of origin as well as the city of destination for unaccompanied children.
- In the case of an unaccompanied minor booked on a connecting flight, the service will not be available. The exception will apply if the scheduled flight is the only flight available from or to the departure point.
- Pets are not allowed to travel with minors who are traveling alone.
- Each flight is limited to 10 seats for safety and security reasons.
- Unaccompanied minors cannot travel with Lufthansa if weather conditions or other factors may interfere with their travel.
- Rebooking’s will be approved by the guardian in case of unforeseen travel interruptions.
- We will contact medical personnel if the child becomes seriously ill during travel.
- It is not permissible to travel unaccompanied by a minor with a special medical condition without a doctor’s consent.
- It is not the airline’s responsibility to ensure that a child passenger has access to personal medication or other supplies.
- In order to verify that the person accompanying the child is the same individual identified on the form, he or she must bring along a valid form of identification.
Lufthansa Care Service Form and Important Travel Documents
If your child will be travelling alone, please inform us as soon as you book the flight. To help you prepare for your child’s trip, we have prepared a checklist for unaccompanied children, with all the important information you need for the trip. The list also includes helpful Idea on booking, checking in, carrying on baggage, free bag allowance, and collection at destination, as well as the necessary documents (e.g., the Lufthansa care service form). Your child will be given a small yellow Lufthansa bag that they should keep visible throughout the journey. The bag holds all the necessary travel documents:
- Passport or child’s ID card must be valid
- A visa is required for the destination country
- Documents related to travel insurance
- If the child has allergies, please provide information about them3
- If applicable, a receipt for pre-paid charges for Lufthansa care
- Consent from parents/legal guardians for their child to travel unaccompanied
- A completed Lufthansa care service form
We recommend you make three copies of the Lufthansa care service form: one for you, one for your child’s yellow bag (which you will receive at the Lufthansa check-in desks), and one for us.
Note- You will need to print and complete both pages of the Lufthansa care service form. Please bring them to the airport with you.
Ticket Booking for Unaccompanied Children
There is no online booking option for unaccompanied children. You must contact the Lufthansa Service Center or your travel agency if you have any questions. To be eligible for Lufthansa’s unaccompanied minor service, you must book at least 24 hours in advance.
Baggage Allowance for unaccompanied children
The carry-on baggage for your child may be the same size as the bag allowed for an adult, but he or she should be able to carry it easily without assistance.
- warm clothing,
- and a small amount of spending money, of course, should also be included Find out more about this subject in our carry-on baggage regulations.
Carry-on baggage Allowance-
With our baggage calculator, you can determine your free luggage allowance based on route, travel class, and fare. You will also find prices and dimensions for optional baggage.
Important Links- https://www.lufthansa.com/be/en/carry-on-baggage
Even Before Leaving, We Provide the Best Care – Online Check-In
You can check in your unaccompanied minor online via lufthansa.com or by calling Lufthansa customer service 23 hours before departure. Alternatively, when you arrive at the airport, please ask a Lufthansa check-in counter if you will need to accompany your child to the gate.
A minimum age of 18 is required for the individual bringing the child to and picking the child up from the destination airport. The person bringing the child to the airport must be available at the airport and contactable by phone until the booked flight departs.
Is there an Additional Fee for Children who are Unaccompanied?
|Flights Route Or Zone||Fees|
|In Germany, Switzerland, and Austria||95 USD|
|Flights within Europe, including Germany, Switzerland, and Austria||95 USD|
|Flights within North Africa, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan||105 USD|
|Including Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Iran, Nigeria, South Africa, Ethiopia, Bahrain, Oman, and Kuwait in the Middle East, Central Africa, and Arab region||130 USD|
|Intercontinental and medium haul flights to US East Coast, Canada East Coast, India, Equatorial Guinea, Kenya, Tanzania, Angola, and Maldives||140 USD|
|Flights to the US West Coast, Canada West Coast, South America, Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, South Africa, and Seychelles on long haul flights||170 USD|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Does Lufthansa accept unaccompanied minors?
Children between 5 and 11 may fly unaccompanied only if they are using our Lufthansa care service or are travelling with someone at least 12 years old.
Q. Can a 14 year old travel alone on Lufthansa?
Travel without restrictions is permitted for children aged 12 to 17 years old, but parents can also request that their children be looked after.
Q. How do I book a Lufthansa unaccompanied minor?
Bookings for unaccompanied children can only be made through the Lufthansa Service Centre, your travel agency, or the Lufthansa ticket desk at the airport.
Q. Q. How do I avoid unaccompanied minor fees?
There is no fee for the airline's Young Travelers service for children 12 and older, but gate passes are required for adults accompanying or picking up the child or children.
Q. What is the minimum age to fly alone on Lufthansa?
It is only possible for children between the ages of five and eleven to fly on their own if they travel with another adult aged 12 or older or if they are escorted.