Last updated on September 21st, 2023 at 06:15 am
Those who are seeking answers to the question “how to change American Airlines flights” have come to the right place. The pandemic has changed everything. It’s normal to make changes during an emergency or to change plans last minute, but flight delays and cancellations have become commonplace.
The entire airline industry in the United States is working hard to help consumers and provide convenient and simple flight adjustments for travelers. On the other hand, if you wish to change your flight and ticket with American Airlines, there are some regulations travelers must follow when switching flights with them. American Airlines Flight Change Policy, American Airlines Flight Change Fee, and American Airlines Flight Change Phone Number can be found below.
American Airlines Flight Change Policy
In accordance with American Airlines’ flight change policy, you are free to change your flight and rebook it at a later time.
- Alteration costs will not be charged by American Airlines (except for Basic Economy
- There are some short-haul international flights.
In the midst of the COVID-19 epidemic, American Airlines offered travelers more flexibility, and once restrictions were lifted, American Airlines changed its cancellation and modification policy.
- Domestic short-haul and international long-haul flights, as well as certain international short-haul flights, don’t charge change fees as long as you’re not traveling in basic economy.
- After April 1, 2021, Fundamental Economy Fares are non-refundable and non-changeable.
- If you decide to travel to the same place on the same day as your previous trip, standby flights are also included.
How to Change American Airlines Flight?
It is possible to make changes to your reservation up to two hours before departure if you purchased your ticket directly from American Airlines. If you purchased your ticket from a third party, you can also contact that travel agency if you wish to make adjustments.
You Can Modify Your American Airlines Flight via AA.com by Following the Steps Below.
- Go to AA.com and sign in.
- Select Manage Trip / Check-in and complete the forms below to access your trip.
- Click “Find your trip” after completing the form.
- In the trip details section, click the View/Change (or Edit Trip) button to view or change the flight details.
- Follow these steps to modify your flight reservation.
- If you are unable to View/Change your choices, please contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance.
- You can rebook a canceled flight by going to Manage Trips / Check-in and selecting View Canceled Trip. If you need assistance, please contact the American Airlines flight change number.
How Much Does it Cost to Change an American Airlines Flight?
If your American Airlines flight is canceled, you will not have to pay any fees in the majority of scenarios. Keep in mind that you may be charged an increase in fare for your new ticket.
If the new fare is lower than your purchased fare, you can use the difference to purchase a future flight if the difference in value is higher than your purchased fare.
Change fees are not eliminated on international flights that originate outside of North or South America, except for basic economy flights that originate in Asia.
How To Change Same Day Flight American Airlines?
A passenger who changes the time slot of their flight booking on the same day must pay a smaller fee than a passenger who changes their tickets an extra day in advance. It is possible to request a change of flight on American Airlines’ website or by calling the American Airlines change flight number the same day.
If you are planning to change your flight on the same day, you should consider the following factors.
- It is important that the new flight departs and arrives at the same airport as the original flight.
- This flight has the same number of stopovers as your original flight.
- The flight is managed and marketed by American Airlines or American Eagle.
- The airline allows passengers to stand for the previous trip, but only Elite members are allowed to stand for the next flight.
- Flights may be changed to same-day and standby depending on availability.
Does American Airlines Charge a Fee to Change a Flight?
If you decide to change your ticket after 24 hours after booking, you won’t be charged a change fee. However, if you choose to change your flight after 24 hours, this policy may change based on the circumstances. Information about various flights can be found in the following sections.
Change Fees for Domestic flights
If you have a basic budget price, you can switch to domestic flights with premium cabins, premium economy, or main cabins for free, as well as buy extra seats and get perks like same-day flight changes. Members of the Elite AAdvantage program receive additional discounts on basic and economical fares.
Change Fees for International Flights
There are no fees for first-class, business-class, premium economy, or main cabin tickets on overseas flights.
Same-day flight change
American Airlines now allows same-day changes at their ticket offices or on their website, but you must still pay 75-150 dollars in redemption fees on the same day as the American Airlines redemption.
On American Airlines, the cost of flights varies depending on the time of day, and you can request a change on the same day by visiting the airline’s website or asking at the ticket counter. Modification costs are calculated according to a variety of scenarios.
American Airlines 24-Hour Flight Change Policy
Within 24 hours of your purchase, American Airlines allows free changes to your flight booking, regardless of your price class.
Basic Economy Tickets– American Airlines does not allow trip changes for Basic Economy tickets on domestic flights.
Long-Haul International Tickets- There will be no change fee if you alter long-haul tickets (excluding Basic Economy) that originate in North America or South America.
Domestic and Short-Haul International Tickets- A change fee does not apply to domestic fares (excluding Basic Economy) or short-haul international flights.
Award Tickets- An award ticket can be swapped for a free/redeposit fee if you have one. The airline will add the value of your award ticket to your account.
Refundable Tickets- Flight modification fees will not be charged by American Airlines if the cost is refundable and you modify or rebook your flight. If the new ticket is more expensive than your previous one, you will have to pay the difference in fee. If the new ticket is less expensive than your previous one, the airline will credit your original payment method.
Non-Refundable Tickets- If your new ticket is more expensive than your current ticket, you will be charged the difference in cost for altering or rebooking. However, this does not apply to Basic Economy tickets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most American Airlines flights can be changed without charge, except for basic economy and Web Special award flights.
You can reschedule or cancel a flight. However, depending on the airline you booked with and the fare class of your ticket, you may need to pay a change or cancellation fee.
If your new flight is more expensive, you must pay the fare difference. If your new flight is less expensive, you get the fare difference as travel credit.