Last updated on October 26th, 2023 at 06:35 am
After booking a flight for a vacation or a business trip, travelers might have to cancel their flight. Unfamiliarity with the rules could also cause the loss of money and miles. Because canceling a flight may cost a lot. However, the Finnair Cancellation Policy has flexible rules.
Simultaneously, Finnair offers a cancellation cover that allows you to cancel the booking for free.
However, to effectively utilize the cancellation policy, travelers need to understand the norms associated with it. In this blog, we will guide you through the
- Finnair cancellation rules
- How do I make a flight cancellation request?
- Finnair refund policy.
- Also, there are cancellation charges.
Finnair Cancellation Policy: How It Works?
Finnair allows passengers to cancel their flight at least one day before departure, according to the cancellation policy. A certain cancelation fee will be chargeable depending on the fare type, distance, and time of cancellation. Moreover, travelers can cancel their bookings through the official website or over a phone call.
- When a traveler cancels their flight within 24 hours of booking, no fee will be applied.
- In case of sickness or an immediate family member dies, Finnair will provide a complete refund.
- Passengers with Flex Fares can cancel their booking up to the scheduled departure without paying any additional fee.
- For group booking cancellations, flyers must contact Finnair.
- However, when the airline cancels the flight, passengers are eligible to receive compensation.
- Also, when a passenger books their ticket through points, they will get points back into their Finnair Plus account.
Finnair Cancellation Policy for Different Fares
Finnair has four types of fares that have their benefits, and travelers can book the fare according to their budget and requirements.
These fares come under classes such as economy, premium economy, and business class. These are non-refundable fares.
It is a fare that allows cancellation without paying any extra fee. Passengers with this fare will get a full refund.
Finnair 24-Hour Cancellation Policy
Finnair offers a grace period for flights to/from the US. According to Finnair’s 24-hour cancellation policy, travelers flying to/from the USA can cancel their booking without incurring any additional charges.
The Finnair 24-hour Cancellation Policy applies to all fares. But, travelers should keep in mind that, grace period cancellation only applies, if the reservation is made at least seven days before the departure and the cancellation request is made seven days in advance.
Thus, if a passenger cancels their booking within seven days of departure, they will not get the benefit of a 24-hour cancellation policy.
Cancellation Policy for Award Tickets
Finnair Plus is a loyalty program run by the airline. It has various tiers: Basic, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Lumo. All tier members are eligible to cancel their flight. However, flyers should cancel their award ticket before redeeming it. On the cancellation of the unused flight award ticket, the Finnair Plus points will be transferred to the account.
Finnair charges EUR50 for canceling the award flight booking as per its cancellation policy.
Ways to Cancel Finnair Flight Booking
Passengers can cancel their bookings through the official website or by calling the airline. When a traveler books their tickets with a third party, the airline cannot make any cancellations. Passengers have to contact the travel agency to make any changes.
Steps to Cancel Flight Booking Online
The online cancellation process is effective and prevents any assistance fee in case of a phone call. Passengers can either use the self-service tool Manage Booking on the website or the app.
- Travelers can visit the official website.
- One can continue with the Manage My Booking option.
- Mention the booking number and passenger details.
- After accessing the trip details, select the flight cancellation option.
- Herein, select the continue key to cancel the booking.
- Now, review the flight and the passengers for whom cancellation will apply.
- Click the box at the bottom.
- In the last, click on the “Confirm Booking Cancellation” option.
Get Assistance from Sisu Chatbot
Sisu is the virtual chat assistant on the Finnair website. Travelers who are unable to cancel their booking via Manage Booking can seek the assistance of Sisu. Sisu will cancel the booking on the flyer’s behalf. It can also cancel a particular flight segment in the booking. Flyers can take the help of Sisu to make any individual passenger cancellation in a multi-passenger booking.
Connect With the Executive On a Phone Call
If the traveler is unable to make a cancellation request through Manage Booking, then the fare is ineligible for online flight cancellation. In the case of group reservations, travelers have to speak directly with the executive for cancellation. Here are the steps one needs to follow:
- Call the official helpline number of the airline (different for different countries).
- Passengers have to follow the IVR instructions and press the desired key.
- After connecting with an executive, request to cancel the flight booking.
- The executive will ask about the passenger’s details and booking reference number.
- The agent will cancel the booking, which the passenger has asked for.
- Pay the cancellation fee if liable.
- In the end, passengers will receive the mail about cancelation at the mail address.
Cancellation at the Airport Counter
Passengers can visit the airline counter to raise a request for cancellation of the booking. The executive will assist passengers through the process. After canceling the ticket, travelers can fill out the refund form, if they are eligible for a refund.
Finnair Flight Cancellation Fee
Travelers owning Flex Fare can cancel their booking for free. It means Finnair will not deduct any cancellation fee.
However, if the passenger has Superlight, Light, or Classic fares, then they are unlucky in the case of cancellation. According to the Finnair Cancellation Policy, the flyer will lose all the fare value. They will receive only airport and government taxes in a refund.
When travelers cancel their flight from/to the US within 24 hours of booking, no extra cancellation fee will be charged. Passengers will receive the full refund in the original form of payment.
In the case of award flight bookings, Finnair charges EUR 50 per passenger for canceling the flight. It will refund all the points back to the flyer’s Finnair Plus account.
What is Finnair Cancellation Cover?
Finnair Cancellation Cover is a type of paid-extra service that allows free cancellation who cannot travel due to sickness or another emergency. Thus, make sure to provide a medical certificate with the refund application form.
- The cover applies to the original fare.
- It also shields any prepaid extras like baggage, lounge access, seats, and meals.
- The cancellation cover fees are the same for one-way or return flights.
- For children under 2 years of age, the cancellation cover is free on Finnair.
- Flyers up to the 36th week of pregnancy can be the cover.
Finnair Cancellation Cover does not work under the following circumstances
- cancellation cover does not cover the price of the new ticket or any service fee.
- If passengers cancel their flight for any other reason, apart from death, sickness, or accident,
- The cover does not include any service, like accommodation, car rental, or any other activity.
Finnair Cancellation Cover is only available for Economy or Premium Economy Class flight bookings Also, the cover does not apply to award flight bookings.
Travelers who are seeking a refund through Finnair Cancellation Cover can claim it by providing medical documents. The passenger must provide the certificates within three months from the original departure date in case of sickness and within six months in case of death.
Finnair Refund Policy
Finnair provides a refund to the passengers who cancel their flight. If a traveler cancels their tickets within 24 hours of booking, the airline gives a complete refund without deducting any fee. Moreover, when cancellation is done after 24 hours of booking, the airline charges a fee and provides a refund. According to the Finnair refund policy, no refund will be processed if the passenger cancels the booking within 24 hours of departure.
Travelers can fill out the Finnair refund form for unused flight tickets or any extra-paid services. If the booking contains both the outgoing trip and the return trip, then
Passengers who are unable to fly due to sickness and have purchased cancellation cover, then they can visit the Finnair Cancellation Cover claim page.
When the passenger is eligible for a refund, the airline will calculate it on the basis of fare conditions. Finnair Refund Policy states that it will refund the amount within seven business days. Finnair transfers the refund to the payment source that was used for the ticket purchase.
Ways to Raise a Request for a Refund on Finnair
Passengers can request a refund on Finnair via several modes, like call, online, or live chat. The airline’s team will approve after checking the details and will process the refund accordingly.
Speak to Finnair Executive
Flyers can call the airline helpline number and request the agent to process the refund by mentioning all the details related to the booking. Once the executive approves and starts the refund procedure, passengers can receive the refund in a maximum of 7 working days.
Fill out the Refund Form Online
It is the most reliable way to get a refund from Finnair. Passengers can also keep the track of refund process through it. Here are the steps to fill out the form.
- First, passengers should visit the official website.
- Click on the menu on the home page.
- Choose “Contact and Request Forms.”
- Scroll down and choose the “Refund Request” option.
- Now in the form, mention the following details:
– Enter the mode of ticket purchase.
– Refund Type.
– Reason for refund.
– Passenger, contact, booking, and payment details.
- Enter any additional information.
- Lastly, click on the submit button.
Through a Live Chat
- Travelers can visit the official website of Finnair.
- Now, continue to the Contact Us page from the section.
- Herein, choose the live chat option “Sisu” from the page.
- After that, a box will appear on the screen.
- Select the “Chat With Us” option.
- Enter the name and reason for the chat.
- The Sisu chatbot will respond to your concerns.
- It will assist in completing the refund form.
Will Finnair Compensate If Flight Gets Cancelled?
When your flight is disrupted due to Finnair, you can seek a refund from the airline. Usually, Finnair updates the passenger about the delays via SMS or e-mail. If the delay is longer, travelers will receive a meal voucher.
If the flight is disrupted, passengers can use the Finnair Manage Booking form to cancel the booking and fill out the online refund form.
Finnair provides compensation to travelers when the airline cancels a flight because of any circumstance, except in the case of bad weather, political issues, or a shortage of flight attendants. The compensation amount depends on the distance and length of the delay.
Meanwhile, the airline will offer alternative flights to its travelers, and if they are not ready to board the provided flight, the airline will compensate them with a complete refund.
|Under 1500 km||EUR 250|
|Between 1500 to 3500 km||EUR 400|
|Above 3500 km||EUR 600|
Also, if passengers choose to cancel their flight due to a delay of more than 5 hours, they will receive a full refund.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to cancel a flight on Finnair?
Passengers can cancel their flights through the official website, phone call, or at the airport. A specific charge will be applicable. In the online process, passengers have to visit the official website and follow the steps accordingly. Whereas, in the offline process, passenger can directly call the support team of the airline, and they will cancel the booking on their behalf.
What if Finnair cancels the flight?
When Finnair cancels the flight, the airline will provide alternative flights for travelers. If passengers are not comfortable with that flight, the airline will compensate the passengers with a complete refund.
What is the Finnair 24-hour cancellation policy?
According to Finnair’s 24-hour flight cancellation policy, travelers will receive a full refund if they cancel their ticket within 24 hours of booking. The policy applies to all tickets, including non-refundable tickets. However, the flight departure should be at least 7 days ahead.
How to request for flight refund on Finnair?
You can request for flight refund from Finnair by using the chat option or filling out the online Finnair refund form. Later, you can also track your Finnair refund status online.
Can I cancel the group booking on Finnair?
Yes, you can cancel the group bookings but only by contacting the airline over the phone or at the airport desk of Finnair. The online method is not available for group bookings.
When will I get my refund on Finnair?
After getting approval from Finnair for the refund, passengers can check their status online. The maximum time Finnair takes for refund initiation is up to 7 business days.
What information do I need while applying for a refund?
While applying for a refund on Finnair, you will need to provide the following details.
Mode of ticket purchase.
- Refund type.
- Reason for refund.
- Passenger details.
- Booking details.
- Contact and payment details.
How much does Finnair charge for canceling award tickets?
According to the Finnair Cancellation Policy, it charges EUR 50 from the passengers for canceling their award tickets. After the cancellation, Finnair will redeposit the points into the Finnair Plus account.