Last updated on December 5th, 2023 at 11:04 am
After booking the flight with Lufthansa Airlines, travelers often check later about the Baggage Allowance and the prohibited items. This may help travelers from causing a problem at the airport, as the airport team can deny boarding the flight with any restrictive things. However, passengers should also know the Lufthansa Baggage Allowance, by the weight and dimension of their baggage.
Lufthansa Baggage Weight & Size Allowance
Carry-on Baggage Allowance
Lufthansa Airlines allows flyers to bring one carry-on baggage, like a trolley, compact bag, or garment bag. However, one personal item is also allowed to carry in the cabin, including a laptop bag, a tote bag, or a suitcase. Some important points for the Carry-on Baggage are mentioned below:
- The dimensions must be 55*40*23 cm.
- Dimensions for foldable garment bag: 57*54*15 cm
- With a maximum weight allowance of 8 kg, for all types of classes.
Allowed Free Carry-on Baggage Items
- A baby cot.
- A child seat or a foldable pushchair.
- Special assistance devices, like wheelchairs, and orthopedic aids.
Checked Baggage Allowance
- The maximum size of checked baggage must not be more than 158 cm.
- With a maximum weight of up to 23 kg in economy class.
- In premium class, 2 bags with a weight of 23 kg each.
- For business class, 2 bags up to 32 kg each. and, in the first class, 3 bags with weight up to 32 kg each.
- Lufthansa allows travelers to bring one carry-on, and checked baggage, along with a personal item for free.
- Make sure to attach the name and phone number to the bags before checking them at the airport.
- The carry-on bag must fit in the overhead bin space and the personal bag should be kept in front of the passenger under the seat.
- The dimensions for carry-on baggage: are 55*40*23 cm.
- The checked baggage size must not exceed 158 cm according to the Lufthansa baggage policy.
- When the baggage exceeds its specific weight and size, a Lufthansa baggage fee will be applicable.
- The fee will depend on the additional baggage weight and distance.
- The airline allows passengers to carry assertive devices or child restraint system devices, like wheelchairs, braces, and strollers for free.
- Passengers with Miles and more and Star Alliance membership can bring additional baggage without extra charges.
- The fees applied on baggage are for single way, so for a round trip, passengers have to pay twice to Lufthansa Airlines.
- Passengers on Lufthansa Airlines get a carry-on baggage allowance of one in economy and premium economy class.
- Whereas, in business and first-class, passengers can bring up to two bags with a maximum weight of 8 kg.
- Moreover, sports and musical instrument charges an extra fee.
- One can add their baggage through the official website, phone call, or at the airport.
Extra Baggage Allowance
Flyers who want to bring extra baggage in economy, business, and first-class can add their bags after reaching the airport or through the official website. The fee will depend on the route, weight of the baggage, and class type.
However, travelers who have a booking in Economy Light Class can add checked baggage to their booking online by paying an additional charge. They are allowed to carry a bag with a maximum weight of 23 kg, and the fee depends upon the route of the flight. Moreover, once the payment is done, passengers will not get any refund afterward.
Liquid Items Allowance
- Lufthansa baggage allowance permits passengers to bring up to 100 ml of liquid.
- Liquids should be carried in a 1-litre plastic bag, and one passenger can carry only one bag.
- At the security, the bag should be checked separately.
- Moreover, baby food or medicines can be taken out from the plastic bag, yet they must also be presented to security separately.
- When duty-free goods are bought at the international airport or on board outside the EU, they should be shipped in a tamper-proof, certified bag on connecting flights through an EU airport.
Lufthansa Baggage Allowance as per Cabin Class
Lufthansa has certain restrictions for carry-on bags per the passenger’s class type under their baggage policy.
Economy & Premium Economy Baggage Allowance
- The passengers traveling in these two classes can bring only one carry-on baggage with a weight of 8 kg along with a personal item in the cabin.
Business and First-Class Baggage Allowance
- Travelers in these classes can carry up to two bags with a maximum weight of 8 kg for each bag, and one personal item in the cabin.
Baggage Allowance Under the Class Type Within Europe
- Economy Classic and Flex Class: The passengers can bring one piece of baggage with a maximum weight of 23 kg, along with a standard carry-on baggage allowance.
- Business Class: The baggage allowance for Lufthansa Business class passengers is two checked bags with a weight of up to 32 kg each bag
Allowance on Traveling on Intercontinental Flights
- Economy Classic and Flex Class: The passengers can bring one piece of baggage with a maximum weight of 23 kg, along with carry-on baggage.
- Premium Economy Class: The passengers can bring two pieces of baggage with a maximum weight of 23 kg for each bag.
- Business Class: Business class passengers are allowed to carry two checked bags with a weight of up to 32 kg of each bag.
- First-class: While traveling in first class, passengers can carry up to 3 checked baggage with a maximum weight of 32 kg of each bag.
Baggage Allowance for Infants and Children
- While traveling in any class, route, or status member, babies of up to 2 years can bring one baggage of a maximum weight of 23 kg for free.
- Children above 2 years get baggage allowance the same as adults on Lufthansa flights.
- When traveling with children between 2 to 7 years old, they are allowed to bring a child restraint system.
- Suppose passengers are using a child restraint system for a baby who is under 2, they should book a separate seat for them.
- Lufthansa Airlines allows passengers to bring child seats, baby baskets, or foldable pushchairs in the cabin as additional baggage for free.
Restrictions for the USA and Canada Flights for Baggage
- For flights traveling to the USA, locked baggage will be asked to be opened forcefully by the TSA for monitoring purposes or when the baggage seems suspicious.
- While traveling to the USA and Canada, all baggage rules must be followed.
- In the case of connecting flights, the baggage rule will be followed whose flight segment is at first.
- All the information regarding the baggage allowance is mentioned on the passengers’ tickets and in the email confirmation from Lufthansa.
Extra Baggage on Lufthansa Airlines
According to the Lufthansa baggage policy, baggage that exceeds the allowed weight or size is called Extra baggage. Moreover, a fee applies to travelers whose bags exceed the required weight which depends on the route, class type, and weight.
- Lufthansa will charge a flat rate for the excess baggage, irrespective of any class.
- On particular routes in economy class, travelers can get a discount for a second piece of baggage with a weight of up to 23 kg.
- However, baggage exceeding the maximum weight of 32 kg will not be accepted as checked baggage.
- Then the baggage will be transported in a cargo hold.
- To book excess baggage, flyers can visit the official website or book after reaching the airport.
Fees for Extra Baggage on Lufthansa
Passengers have to pay the following fee for extra baggage on Lufthansa Airlines.
|Routes||Online||Pay at the Airport|
|Within Germany||USD 64||USD 80|
|Within Europe||USD 73||USD 92|
|Short Intercontinental Routes||USD 138||USD 170|
|Medium Intercontinental Routes||USD 186||USD 230|
|Large Intercontinental Routes||USD 230||USD 287|
How to add Extra Baggage on Lufthansa?
Flyers can book their baggage through methods, like phone calls, via the Manage My Booking feature, or at the airport. A certain fee will be charged for adding excess baggage. However, travelers can save on fees by paying for the baggage through Manage Booking or calling the executive.
Manage Booking Feature to Add Extra Baggage
- Passengers should first visit the official website.
- Now, proceed by clicking on the manage my booking feature.
- After that, mention the booking number and passenger’s details to fetch the flight details.
- After that, select the “Add Baggage” option.
- Mention the number of bags with weight.
- Now, pay the excess baggage fee according to the class type.
- After successful payment, Lufthansa will send a confirmation email.
Add Baggage Through a Phone Call
- After the call gets connected to the executive, they can request the executive to add baggage to their flight booking.
- Now, share the flight details with the executive.
- The executive will ask about the number of bags that one needs to add for their flight.
- After, confirming the details, the agent will proceed.
- Lastly, pay the additional baggage charges by sharing the card details.
- Travelers can check their bookings with updated baggage allowance after the transaction.
After Reaching the Airport
However, passengers can add their baggage when they reach the airport for their flight. While at check-in, passengers can ask an agent to add more baggage. The executive will check the baggage’s weight and size and accordingly, they will charge a fee. Finally, travelers must pay the airline baggage fees to confirm the allowance.
What items are not allowed on Lufthansa?
For the safety of the aircraft or the passengers, some items are not allowed to be brought in both carry-on or checked baggage. Hence, it is important to pack the stuff carefully and know the prohibited items.
Prohibited Items on Lufthansa Flights
- Caustic materials, like acids, alkalis, and wet batteries.
- Containers with gas.
- Also, flammable lights, including lighters, paint, varnish, and cleaning agents.
- Camping stoves, cylinders, filled scuba tanks.
- Additionally, explosives, fireworks, and flares.
- Heat-generator devices.
- Materials that get easily ignited.
- Also, oxidizing substances.
- Dry excess of more than 2.5 kg.
Restricted Goods That Lufthansa Might Allow
- E-cigarettes are only allowed in carry-on baggage.
- Also, Lithium-ion spare batteries.
- Wheelchair with non-spillable batteries, lithium-ion batteries, and wet batteries.
- Things that include integral, non-removable batteries.
- Or, items that contain integral, removal batteries.
- Portable electronic device with lithium-ion batteries.
- Also, portable electronic medical devices.
Sports Equipment Allowance on Lufthansa Airlines
Lufthansa allows travelers to carry their sports equipment which is essential for them to bring along. Somehow, if the sports equipment is under the free baggage allowance weight but exceeds the allowed weight of that particular class, then the traveler has to pay excess baggage fees. Also, the equipment must have a maximum dimension of 158 cm in total with a maximum weight of 32 kg. Passengers can add their equipment through the manage booking feature or by calling Lufthansa at least 24 hours before departure.
- One sleeping bag or roll-on.
- A water surfing board.
- A golf bag containing clubs and accompanying golf shoes.
- One duffle bag.
- Properly packed firearms.
- A bicycle.
Fees for Sports Equipment
|Within Germany||Within Europe||Central America||Short Intercontinental Routes|
|USD 80||USD 92||USD 115||USD 172|
Musical Instruments on Lufthansa
Travelers can bring their musical instruments in their hard shell case with a weight of not more than 8 kg and size dimensions of 55*40*23 cm in total. The instruments can be carried in carry-on, even as cabin-seat baggage depending on the size. However, flyers must measure the size of their musical instruments before arriving at the airport.
Book a Seat for Musical Instrument
For instance, if the instrument dimensions exceed 55*40*23 cm, travelers can book a separate seat. Moreover, passengers should book the second seat at the same time as they book tickets for themselves. The weight and dimension of the instrument must not exceed:
- 1554225 cm which can stand in the cabin.
- 1004250 cm which can be strapped on the seat.
- With a maximum weight of 75 kg.
Delayed or Damaged Baggage on Lufthansa: What To Do?
In circumstances, where the baggage of the passenger gets delayed or damaged, passengers must visit the Lufthansa counter at the airport and explain their problems to the executive. Passengers who left their belongings on the flight or at the airport can fill out a lost and found form and can claim to Lufthansa for baggage.
Moreover, Lufthansa will not be liable for any wear and tear that occurs due to quality or defects such as:
- Dents, cuts, or scratches.
- Damage or fixed baggage handles.
- Missing external items like wheels, locks, zippers, or straps.
For Delayed Baggage
- Travelers must make a detailed report of their baggage and submit it to the baggage service counter of Lufthansa.
- After the reporting of the baggage, the airline team will try to track out the baggage.
- Passengers can also track the progress by mentioning the given unique reference number, or else the airline will keep posting the baggage status.
- Moreover, passengers can also call the baggage service counter of their current destination to know the status.
- Once the Lufthansa team tracks the baggage, they will deliver the passenger’s baggage to their location.
- Lufthansa will provide baggage delay compensation when there is a delay in passenger’s baggage for more than 21 days.
In Case of Damaged Baggage:
- After collecting the baggage, if a passenger finds any damages they can contact the baggage counter of Lufthansa Airlines.
- Make sure to report and fill out the damage form at the airport.
- After leaving the airport, if travelers find any damages, they can contact the airline through the phone number of Lufthansa to claim the damages. However, the airline requests travelers to claim within three days of receiving the baggage.
- If the passenger reports within the period, then they can claim for a settlement.
- To settle the claim, the airline will ask passengers about the exact value and damages caused to the items.
- The compensation will be according to the current value of the item.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Lufthansa carry-on baggage allowance in business class?
Travelers can bring two carry-on baggage and one personal item in the business class for free. The maximum weight of the carry-on bag should not be more than 8 kg for each bag.
What are the size limits for checked baggage on Lufthansa?
The maximum size for checked baggage must not exceed 158 cm in total on Lufthansa Airlines. Passengers traveling with infants can bring checked baggage weighing up to 23 kg.
What are the methods to add excess baggage on Lufthansa?
Travelers can add their excess baggage by logging in to the manage my booking option on the homepage of the official website, a phone call, or visiting the airport. The airline suggests booking their baggage at least 24 hours before departure.
What are the charges for excess baggage on Lufthansa?
The airline charges a certain fee according to the baggage weight, route, and class type. The additional baggage fee ranges between USD 62 to USD 287, depending upon the destination and mode of booking.
What is the Lufthansa checked baggage allowance?
The baggage allowance that passengers get after booking a ticket is as follows:
- Economy: 1 bag, 23 kg.
- Premium Economy: 2 bags, 23 kg each.
- Business: 2 bags, 32 kg each.
- First: 3 bags, 32 kg each.
What is the required dimension for carry-on baggage on Lufthansa?
Passengers can bring carry-on baggage with a weight of up to 8 kg with a maximum size of 55*40*23 cm. It is applicable for all types of classes.
Do I have to pay for a baby trolley to Lufthansa?
No, you do not have to pay an additional fee for a baby trolley or a car seat to Lufthansa. Moreover, the airline allows passengers who are traveling with infants to bring extra checked baggage of up to 23 kg for free.
What will be the fee for sports equipment on Lufthansa within Germany?
Lufthansa charges an additional fee for bringing sports equipment on the flight if they exceed the required weight or size. To carry sports equipment with extra weight within Germany would cost USD 80 one-way.
Does Lufthansa allow 2 bags?
Yes, Lufthansa permits 2 bags as checked baggage. According to the Lufthansa Baggage Policy, Premium Economy passengers can bring 2 bags of 23 kg each. On the other hand, Business Class passengers can bring 2 bags of 32 kg each. Economy Class travelers can bring only 1 bag.
Is the laptop included in the 7 kg hand luggage on Lufthansa?
Yes, travelers can bring a laptop inside the cabin unless it does not exceed the weight and size criteria. According to Lufthansa Baggage Policy, the weight of the hand luggage should not exceed the 8 kg limit. The size of the laptop bag should not be more than 30x40x10 cm.
Can I carry a backpack and a carry-on Lufthansa?
Lufthansa Airlines permits passengers to bring a carry-on bag and a personal item such as a backpack or laptop bag. The size of the carry-on bag should not be more than 55x40x30 cm. On the other hand, the size of the backpack should be less than 30x40x10 cm.
More On Lufthansa at Mytrippolicy: