Last updated on September 22nd, 2022 at 09:31 am
Is your next flight with United Airlines? Use United miles to upgrade seats for a more comfortable flight journey. Get spacious seats for your long-haul flights.
So, to know more about the seat change process and whether it is worth it or not? Read the blog below carefully.
Can I Use United MileagePlus Miles to Upgrade Seats?
According to the airlines, customers can upgrade flights controlled under United & United Express and use their miles to upgrade their seats. At the same time, you can upgrade your tickets while making a purchase or using the United Airlines Manage Booking feature later.
How To Request an Upgrade on United Airlines via Official Site?
- First of all, search for United Airlines on any web browser.
- Then, on the homepage, search for Mileage Plus Programs.
- Tap on the ‘My Account’ under the mileage plus program.
- Afterward, enter the details, such as mileage plus number and password, to sign in to your account.
- Click on your existing booking to make the seat upgrades.
- Then, tap on the continue tab to complete the upgradation process.
- Now, you will be directed to the payment page.
- Make the payment using United Miles to complete the process.
- In the end, you will receive a confirmation or a new e-ticket on your registered email address or mobile number.
Can I Use United Miles to Upgrade Seats Through Offline Channels?
Passengers who are unable to make upgradation online can upgrade their seats using the offline methods. In addition, the airline has an offline mode through which the passenger can make an upgrade. Meanwhile, the airline’s customer executives are available 24*7 to make hassle-free changes as per your requirements.
Therefore, upgrades are made 24 hours to 1 hour before the scheduled departure and should be done via the customer support executive or at the airport ticket counter.
Upgrade Seats Via Customer Support
- Firstly, search for the airline’s official website on any web browser.
- Then, on the home screen, search for the mileage plus program.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Mileage Plus Service Centre’ under the Contact tab.
- Scroll down the screen, and tap on the Contact Mileage Plus option.
- Then, you will be on a new page where you can select from the provided option such as phone number, mileage plus assistant, and email process.
- You can tap on the mileage plus assistant to get immediate assistance to connect with the live chat agent.
- Tap on the given toll-free number to connect with the customer support executive.
- Carefully listen to the IVR menu and select the desired option.
- Now, your call will connect to the customer executive.
- Afterward, explain your query and ask him to upgrade seats using United miles.
- The executive will ask for your personal information, such as your current booking number and your last name.
- After retrieving the booking, the executive will ask for your confirmation to make the desired upgrades.
- Confirm the changes, and the executive will deduct the payment from your miles account.
- In the end, you will receive a confirmation mail on your registered email address.
Upgrade United Seats Using Miles at the Airport Ticket Counter
Customers can also make an upgrade at the ticket counter. For that, you have to reach the nearest airport. The ticket counter agents are available 24*7 to assist you in making changes to your reservation.
You can ask the ticket counter agent to upgrade your seats using the United miles. The agent will make the upgrades and will ask you for your confirmation. Confirm the changes. Make the required patent using the United miles.
In the end, the ticket counter agent will give you the new ticket, or else you will receive a confirmation on your registered email address.
Guidelines for Upgrading Seats Using United Miles
Passengers can use Mileage Plus award points to make an upgrade. But it entirely depends on the passenger’s fare class, seat type, and premier status.
At the same time, customers who have made a reservation in B, O, or Y classes don’t have to pay any extra charges to make an upgradation, but on different fare classes, you need to spend some additional costs.
According to the airline, customers who are premier members or are traveling on premier sponsor miles are free from co-pay while traveling on mentioned routes.
- If a passenger is a premium traveler and is traveling on transcontinental routes between Alaska, Canada, and Mainland U.S., then he requires to co-pay for upgrading seats.
- In case of traveling between Canada, Alaska, Mainland U.S., and Hawaii, passengers have to co-pay while traveling on a non-stop flight between Hawaii, Chicago O’Hare, New York, and Denver.
- If a passenger traveling between Mainland U.S., Canada, Alaska, Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean doesn’t have to pay any extra charges for upgrading.
- If you are traveling between and Oceania, then you are required to co-pay between Guam and Hawaii.
What Is the Eligibility for Upgrading Seats Using the United Miles?
According to the airlines, any customer can use its Mileage plus award miles to make an upgrade. Therefore, passengers can also enjoy the extra benefits of upgrades after a seat upgrade.
- Passengers who are United airlines members, premier silver, gold, platinum, and premier 1K members are eligible to make an upgrade using the Mileage Plus Award miles.
Is It Worth it to Use United Miles to Upgrade Seats?
According to the airlines, it is worth upgrading seats using Unite miles because upgradation of seats needs approximately 12.5K miles on an economy one-way flight. However, the upgradation doesn’t come at low prices.
So, traveling on long-haul flights is worth upgrading seats from an economy to a premium cabin class without spending your hard-earned money.
Therefore, it doesn’t mean that upgrading through miles is not the best way possible, but it is the far best way to maximize profit.
According to the airlines, you can use your Mileage plus award miles to make an upgrade for a friend whether they both are not traveling on the same flight.
There are two types which you can use to make an upgrade using United miles are:
- First, before making a reservation, you can search in advance to filter flights that have immediate availability using award miles.
- Second, if you have already made a reservation, you can upgrade by logging in to your Mileage Plus Programs account or using the manage booking portal.
Passengers who are traveling on United metal need 60,000 miles each way to make an upgrade to business class. And, in case you are traveling on star alliance, you will need 70,000 miles each way to upgrade to business class.
No, you cannot use Mileage plus upgrade award miles to make an upgrade on an award, promotional, or on the basic economy fare ticket.